Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Week 13


Does anyone sense a theme here......

Last week of training!!! After this week I am officially a normal trained missionary. We had an interesting conversation with President Miller today. He met my companion and I in Los Lunas to deliver a package to me and this is the conversation that followed:

Me: How are transfers going?
President: They will be awesome. I will call you Friday or Saturday.
Elder Steffensen: You mean the Zone leaders will tell us Saturday night?
President: No. I will be calling you Friday or Saturday. Both of you.

And then he drove away haha if you don't know the only reason President calls you before transfers is to tell you that you will be training a new missionary or you are being called into leadership like a District Leader or Zone Leader. Anyway this last week was really good! We set a companionship best of 17 investigator lessons! The work here in Belen is really increasing and moving forward. I love being here and the people, both members and not, are all amazing and only sometimes crazy. My testimony for not doing meth has increased for sure. So last Pday we went to the Zoo! It was so much fun and I got to see all kinds of animals. Apparently Albuquerque has one of the nations best zoos and it was a blast. All the Elders in the district went together and I have lots of pictures. We went to Tucanos after for dinner. Never been there before but it was amazingly delicious. Expensive for sure haha but good. Last week we had a great lesson with Kendall who is getting baptized this Saturday. I got to go on an emergency transfer with Elder Evans this week. My companion went up to Albuquerque for a training meeting. Elder Evans originally got called to Guatemala. But after serving 6 months there got sent home with malaria and typhoid and parasites and a couple other awesome stories. He got reassigned here and has been here for a few weeks. He is a Spanish Elder. During studies we got a knock on the door. It was 2 female Jehovah Witnesses. I was excited because I have always wanted to talk to them and see what they believe. When I answered the door they said "Se habla Espanol?" And all I could do is point to Elder Evans and sit in quiet. He talked to them for 45 minutes about lots of things. At the end they gave us a couple pamphlets but refused to take ours. They said they were going to said English people back to talk to me. I am excited for that. Last Saturday there was a funeral in our ward. It was a sudden death and sad. But the services were really good and uplifting. We found out that the Bishop really loves us because he called 16 new ward missionaries on Sunday! Now we have a ton of people to come teach with us!! I was so excited. Besides that not much else happened. The week went flying by. Next week is transfers so Pday is on Monday. Please hold any mail till I email next week and say whether I am staying here or leaving. Thank you for all your support! 

Quotes of the Week:

"Live the way you want your family and friends to live."
"Humility is not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less."

Spiritual Experience of the Week:

Yesterday we met with someone who was really upset and is really struggling with some of his problems and addictions.  I got a really strong prompting to share something with him that was really bold and upfront and basically calling him to repentance. I pondered the prompting for a few minutes and decided it came from the spirit so I said it. A few more promptings came right after that and I boldy told him what he needed to do and how he needed to change his thoughts. I have never been so bold before but I knew the spirit was there. He ended up agreeing with what I had to say and that he would try the things I gave him to do. I really felt guided and prompted on what to say and I know that the spirit was helping me. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true, and that we are happiest when we follow the teachings found in the Book of Mormon. 

Pic: 
Me and a frog I found.
I love you all and appreciate everything you do for me. Have a great week!!

Elder Carruth 

No comments:

Post a Comment