Saturday, October 10, 2015

Week 21



Not sure where the glasses came from.....

Hello from overcast Belen!! That is right it is overcast and glorious out here. In the 70s for a few days. Proof that the Lord loves us. The work has been picking up a little bit this last week. Week 1 of a transfer is always the longest and hardest to get through. We are still trying really hard to get more people to teach. We are struggling and having a hard time not getting discouraged. But we keep trying to be obedient and diligent. We have 3 new missionaries in the district this transfer. I have met them all and they are all awesome! I am excited to serve with them for the next 6 weeks. One of our really progressing investigators dropped us this week. It was kind of heartbreaking and we really had to fight the discouragement. But we are still optimistic! We know that there are great things to be done here in Belen and we are going to continue to work hard! Last Wednesday we were out riding out bikes and we didn't have any success. When we got back home we sat down and talked about why things felt off and we weren't having any success. We decided that we became complacent and content with where we were and we were getting lazy. That lit a fire under me because I refuse to work anything short of my hardest out here. We immediately made a plan to become more effective and efficient. The blessings poured out of heaven and we felt the approval of our Heavenly Father. We received 2 referrals later that day. Hopefully we can continue to work hard and find people to teach. It was nice to see October come. The weather has been perfect and I love that before this month ends I will get to go to the temple. I have missed the spirit that is there and I am so excited to go back! That is the place to be. I had a cool experience this week. We were knocking on doors and on one a man came outside. He told us that he was a preacher from another church in the area. As soon as I introduced us he began to grill me with questions about Jesus Christ. Question after question trying to either find something to argue with or find me crossing myself. Unfortunately for him, I answered every single question as fast as he could ask them. The spirit really helped me through this one. By the end he nodded his head and shook our hands. The spirit confounded him and he agreed with what we were there to teach. It was a cool experience. General Conference this week was simply amazing. I loved all of it so much. I don't think I have appreciated conference as much as I do as a missionary. It is a spiritual boost and makes us all want to baptize the world! I loved Elder Holland's talk. It was very bold and I love that. I also loved Uchtdorf's talk Saturday morning. All of conference was amazing and most of my quotes this week are from it. That's about all I have for the week! Love you all!!

Quotes of the Week:
"Involve the Lord in everything."
"Goals reflect your desires."
"Desire is measured by action."
"Don't complicate the simplicity of the Gospel."
"Living the gospel doesn't need to be complicated."
"The Holy Ghost gives customized counsel."
"Your direction is far more important than your speed."
"Self control gets stronger as you use it."
"We don't marry perfection, we marry potential."
"Reach up, not across."
"There is a difference between hearing and understanding."
"The future of your faith is not by chance, but by choice."
"Faith does not begin at birth or end at death."
"Commandments are not stumbling blocks to happiness."
"Faith and doubt cannot exist at the same time."
"If you quit now, someone else will have to painfully learn what you already know."

Spiritual Experience of the Week:
Conference for sure. It was just a pure outpouring of the spirit as the Prophet and the Apostles gave us such amazing counsel. The spirit testified of their callings and their messages. I loved conference so much.

Miracle of the Week:
We were knocking on doors and we came to one where this lady came out saying "I have been praying all day for someone to come help me." She needed help taking her spare tire out of her car so she could recover some makeup that fell. She was so excited to see us. We talked to her about the Book of Mormon and the Gospel for a while and left her with the invitation to read. She has a lot of potential.

love you all,

Elder Carruth



No comments:

Post a Comment