Saturday, July 2, 2016

Week 59

Hello from the desert! It is a solid 99 degrees right now and has broke triple digits a ton over the last week or so. It is crazy hot but at the same time I am pretty used to it. I can feel the difference between 99 and 103. About the time it becomes normal I will head home and have to start the adjustment over again. So the biggest change that happened this week was we got a new mission president. His name is President Guffey. He is from Ohio. We get to meet him tomorrow so that will be super cool! I am excited to meet him and work with him. I will also miss President and Sister Miller a ton. They have done so much for me. I have felt so much love from them and they are beyond inspired. They will be missed but I am sure that I will love President Guffey the same and be just as sad to leave when my turn comes around. Lots of changes are sure to be coming these next few weeks. So we have a baptism this week! Pete is going to get married on Friday, we get to go, and then baptized the following day!! We are super excited! I wish I could have been here for the actual teaching of Pete and not just his baptism. But I am excited for this weekend. It will be an amazing couple of days for them and their families. He is the only person who is really progressing right now. We found a new investigator this week though! It was a cool miracle. We took Bishop's son out with us since he is leaving for his mission in August. We tried by this person who told us to come back and he let us inside! His name is Robert. He loves Jesus Christ and has a ton of faith. He knows a lot about the bible as well. It is really cool. We are excited to continue to teach him. We also taught Rosalie yesterday. She is a Jewish lady that I don't know if I have talked about yet. We committed her to read and pray about the Book of Mormon everyday for a week. We will see how it goes! I had a couple really awesome spiritual experiences this week. One of them was when I gave my talk on Sunday. I was asked just to speak for 5 minutes and introduce myself and talk on service. Normally I would write down a couple bullet points and scriptures to share. But my companion has been reading a book that says we should study the topic and scriptures and pray with all our heart to be guided by the spirit, but not to write down you talk. So I tried it out. It was scary walking up in front of a new ward with only my scriptures and no notes. But it went fairly well. The spirit prompted me to use a couple scriptures and I did and I don't really remember what I said. Must not have been from me. The other experience was giving a blessing to a sister. We were prompted to ask her is she needed on and she declined. The next day however she called and accepted the offer. When we got there she asked if I would do it and I felt the peace and approval of the Savior. I said things that I don't really remember but they were a lot different than a normal blessing. So I know that the Lord was there. It was great. Overall the week went really well. Elder Larkin is a wonderful companion and we get along great. We council together and work together well. I have learned a lot from him already and it has only been 2 weeks. Hopefully we will be able to find more people to teach!
On a side note I was able to finish the Book or Mormon for the 4th time as well as the Doctrine and Covenants this week. I knelt in prayer and asked if they were true, as I do every time, and I received another spiritual witness that these things are true. The Book of Mormon is truly the word of God and is here to help us learn more about our Savior. I love it. I love the gospel. I love my Savior. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Love you all!!
Elder Carruth

No comments:

Post a Comment